In the first few posts of this series, we examined the challenges of today’s DR strategies. Now, let’s consider solutions. Chapter 4 of the Gorilla Guide to Ransomware Recovery and Cloud DR shows us how to rethink DR for the future, with novel insights and advice, including:
- Don’t build a DR site at all, because full DR sites with complex, expensive infrastructure are a relic.
- Make your IT budget do more by implementing SaaS-based DR orchestration that provisions resources on demand, so you can redirect DR funds to more strategic projects.
- Gracefully sidestep ransomware by supplementing endpoint protection solutions with more complete and sophisticated solutions that let you simply choose the restore point, revert to that point in time, and pick up where you left off.
- Focus on recovery, not backups, and test your DR plan regularly – at least once a month. Make sure you can execute not only a failover but also a failback.
- Have faith in your DR plan. That doesn’t mean simply trust it. It means test it, make sure it can deliver a reliably low RTO and RPO. Avoid committing to a “reliably low” RTO and an “OK” RPO. Ensure your processes are consistent, automate the manual steps where possible – and then have faith in the integrity of your plan.
In the next post, we’ll get even more specific and look at how Datrium Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS) with VMware Cloud on AWS enables you to have a failproof, on-demand DR solution. But why wait? Read the whole guide now. Just click the link below to download it for free.