Founded in 1883, The University of Auckland is New Zealand’s largest university, with over 40,000 students. Auckland is committed to conserving, advancing, and disseminating knowledge through teaching, learning, research, and the highest standard of creative work.
Modernize IT Infrastructure While Reducing Cost
As New Zealand’s leading university, the University of Auckland must constantly balance its visionary charter and economic realities. The same applies to the University’s IT organization. The IT team is committed to delivering superior services to the University’s 40,000 students, along with faculty, staff, administrators, and research partners – but must also strive to save money in the face of ever-tightening budget constraints.
In support of the university’s digital transformation strategy, the IT organization’s Infrastructure Services (IS) team was looking to modernize its infrastructure and key processes, such as data backups and disaster recovery (DR). The IT team manages two large-scale data centers in Auckland, and legacy infrastructure and point tools were making storage, backups, and DR excessively complex and expensive.
“We wanted to empower our IT team to work more efficiently,” said Sanit Kumar, Infrastructure Services Portfolio Manager (ISPM) at The University of Auckland. “We were looking for a simplified solution that combines compute, storage, backup, and disaster recovery, and that aligns with VMware, so we no longer require separate storage with VMware and backup teams.
By using Datrium products, the University of Auckland achieved these results:
- Agility and savings through unified services and cloud-based infrastructure
- Freed up the IT team to focus on strategic objectives by shifting from siloed infrastructure management to cross-functional teams
- Instant RTO with on-demand DR
- Protection against ransomware and other threats
- No VM conversions for cloud-based DR – with easy failover and failback
- Better service to all end users
- Improved performance, especially for research workloads
Read the full case study to learn more about The University of Auckland’s unified, future-ready DR, backup, and storage system.
Datrium checked all our boxes. Their converged approach and on-demand disaster recovery to VMware Cloud on AWS simplifies DR and also brings our team major cost savings.
– Sanit Kumar, Infrastructure Services Portfolio Manager (ISPM), The University of Auckland
We’d like to show you how you can get these results too. Just request a demo, and we’ll get in touch.